Council Tax

Full time students are exempt from paying council tax, however they must complete a council tax exemption form from the Birmingham City Council.


If you are not a student and are a working professional you are liable to pay council tax.


To sort out your exemption the council will require:

  • The complete address of the property
  • The full name of every tenant in the property
  • For students they require – Student I.Ds, Name of the University and full/part time student status and the duration of the course.


The Birmingham City Council can be contacted via:

Phone on: 0121 303 1113

Post at: Birmingham City Council, Finance Department (Revenues), PO Box 4092, B4 7AD.

Or alternatively at:  Birmingham City Council, Resources department (revenues and benefits) , PO Box 5 , Birmingham , B4 7AB.

For more information on Council Tax, please visit: or Email:


Alternatively click on the links below or you can consult your university who will provide you with the necessary information.

Frequently asked questions

Info on Council Tax

Council Tax Exemption Form

Students Council Tax Exemption Letter Template

Tenancy deposit scheme Safe Agent